Saturday, December 27, 2014

Pokemon #1: Truck

The truck found next to the S.S. Anne in Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow/Green has, over the years, gained infamy due to the elusiveness of the Pokemon Mew. I'd like to clear something up about it: in no versions of the game (to my knowledge), including the beta I had the extreme privilege to play, was Mew in any way involved with this truck. However, the truck did serve another purpose in one of the betas of Pokemon Green I got to play.
Pokemon Green - Pocket Monsters Green, as it were- had a beta that fascinated me. The reason I'm formatting my Pokemon posts in a numerical fashion is simply because of the intricacy of the details of these beta features is something I have to go into such detail on that it wouldn't make sense to post it all in one post. Anyways, the beta really explains a lot of things that are elusive and mysterious to people, and this truck is one of them.
In the beta, when you beat the Elite Four (which was actually six battles, but I'll get into that later) you of course had access to Cerulean Cave. The cave's layout was completely different, but not in a noteworthy way. Something that would surprise most, though, is that the levels of the wild Pokemon you encountered were far lower. The lower-leveled Pokemon in the cave were in the high thirties, starting out at about thirty-eight. The highest one, I believe, was about fifty-five. At the time this was surprising to me, but it would soon make sense enough.
I caught Mewtwo, who was actually only level 65, and left the cave. Out of curiosity, fueled by prior experiences with this beta, I decided to head to the truck by S.S. Anne. When I reached it, with Mewtwo in my party, I decided to check it, expecting nothing to occur. Then, the unique message of "!?!" appeared, making me question whether the screen before me had been somehow Satanically interfered with to cause me to question reality, which could lead to me directly going against God. But, no, what I was seeing was truly there. I pressed A, making the text box go away, and a sort of vibrating sound played as the screen had a shaking effect. The truck was moving down, and under it was a staircase.
This scene ended, and a text box appeared, saying "Mewtwo's PSYCHIC moved the truck!" I was sweating, shaking, and my bloodshot eyes were taking in the formations of the bright little screen before me in that dark office room. I honestly got emotional due to this. A dream from my childhood, fulfilled. Those incredible bedroom days of playing Pokemon were all worth it for this moment. Red, standing before this downward staircase that clearly lead to things unseen by anyone but me up to this point.
I approached the staircase and went down. The usual transition played, and, when it was over, I saw Red standing there in a cave. Now, this cave was unique in that its tiles had this animation to them that made it appear as if they were glowing or had light reflecting off of them in different directions or something of that nature. It's really hard to describe, and I really wish I could better put into words what I was seeing. The cave was laid out like the rest of the caves in the game; it had sections where you had to use surf, sections that required cut (which was a bit odd), sections where you had to use strength, and, levels where you had to use flash.
I believe the point of this cave was to reward the player for having the commitment to go to the truck after doing a task like capturing Mewtwo. That shows diligence, right there, and I think that's a value Game Freak wanted to emphasize to children playing the game. The cave was a reward in that it contained many incredibly useful items, like Revives and Max Revives in great abundance, many full restores, and even two extra Master Balls! The only catch to this cave was that it was a bit hard to navigate with all of the HMs you had to use (I remember one particularly brutal strength puzzle) and the Pokemon you encountered there were a huge obstacle. If you were lucky, you'd encounter mostly lower-leveled Pokemon, which in this case were already at level seventy! It was completely brutal, as, by floor 5 (the final floor), I was mostly encountering Pokemon that were in the high eighties.
The end of the cave had an interesting treat that I had wished they would have kept in the final game. It was the fossil that you DIDN'T pick up early on in the game, making it possible to have both Kabutops and Omastar. I think this area was actually removed mostly because it COULD make a player a bit too powerful and it would have probably lead to less utilization of the trading system, but, really, who knows!

No comments:

Post a Comment